This is the end;
Hold your breath
and count to ten...
I know, I know... It's about time. I just saw the latest James Bond movie, Skyfall. First, let me just say, I enjoy Adele and her musical style. It's a song with retro theme of Sean Connery and "Dr No."
The movie itself has a flavor of retro to it; from Daniel Craig's suits to his Aston Martin, they all bring back the old time memories of James Bond.
When it comes to the latest Bond movie, there is a consistent tension between James Bond and modern technology. "Q" is now a young twenty-something. He brags he can destroy computer systems of countries in his pajamas, while Bond brags about how he has to decide between who and who not to kill... Then, he challenges Q that he could never do that in his pajamas. This is only one example of how Bond represents "old school" and Q and the others inside MI6 represent modernism.
In the end, Q and Bond both realize there can be a happy marriage between the old spy ways of doing things and the use of modern technology. If you need more information on this, go see the movie...again, if necessary.
How does this relate to that "Old Time Religion?" This is too easy and I know many of my contemporaries know where I am going with this one.
There is a mindset in many evangelical churches and blogs that the old ways of doing things are passé and must be replaced by more modern and contemporary methods. The old school folks in the church quickly dig in their heels and cross their arms and refuse to consider anything new, quoting, "there's nothing like that old time religion."
Maybe there's a lesson the church can learn from Skyfall. That lesson is there is room for a marriage between the foundational principles of the old time religion while implementing today's methods of social media and technology.
So, we can say, this is not the end, even if
The skyfalls
when it crumbles
we will stand tall
face it all together.
No comments:
Post a Comment