Friday, March 23, 2012

A Tale of Two Cinemas

Charles Dickens coined it - "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times," and each generation, I believe, experiences it. The experience I am referring is the value of human life. There are two movies opening this weekend which promote different views on the value of life: The Hunger Games and October Baby. The Hunger Games' agenda is simply this: life is expendable and meaningless as seen by the elite rulers'lifestyle and how they use fear to control the masses. In the movie, October Baby, the agenda is about the value of a single life. Instead of people living selfishly for themselves, October Baby shows how the values of unselfishness and love promote a culture that respects and fosters life. In a culture which is devaluing the human life, two cinemas offers the viewer two options: life or death. While I am not condemning anyone who views The Hunger Games, I am advocating a balance, if nothing else. If you are planning to see The Hunger Games, take the time to see October Baby also. You may be surprised just how good you feel about life and realize it's your best of times, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment